FRANK PREGNANCY TALK Frank discussion of pregnancy symptoms, emotions, side-effects and oddities.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Nipple Cheese

If you’ve ever been pregnant and don’t know about nipple cheese, it might be because you’ve forgotten about this side effect of pregnancy, very much like how you forget the real pain of labor once it’s over. Or, you may not know of it because you’ve never had it. Not every woman experiences this during pregnancy.

If you’re still scratching your head, wondering just WTF I’m talking about, I’ll tell you. Nipple cheese is a collection of a white or yellowish stuff that builds up in between the cracks on your nipples. It’s usually comprised of body oils from sebaceous glands, dead skin cells and/or leakage of colostrum.

Now wait a minute… cracks? “What cracks?” you may ask.

During my first pregnancy, I was alarmed when I noticed my nipples cracking up. They broke apart into lots of little sections that most resemble taste buds. “What’s going on here? Psoriasis? Dermatitis? Skin Cancer?” I later learned that my milk ducts were coming to a head. Did you know that a woman’s nipple has between 20 to 50 milk ducts and milk can squirt out of each one of them? I foolishly thought that the milk would neatly come out of one hole. So, in these crevices between the milk ducts, you can get nipple cheese build up, even after pregnancy. I still get it and my baby’s almost four years old.

I thought about posting a pic of my cracked nipple, with said cheese, but thought better of it. Too gross. And, if I did, you might expect me to post pictures of my vagina when I talk about cheeseburger crotch. We won’t go there.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for not posting the pics!

(All I have to do is inspect my own nipples to discover what you're talking about...)

Gross. And yet funny.

11:57 AM  
Blogger becky said...

Hi Stacy! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I've got my own top-secret baby blog underway, too. (bringing up baby)

I'm only at 5 and a half weeks, and I'm really glad I got a hold of your book early. Now I know of things to ... ahem, look forward to?

Take care!

3:11 AM  
Blogger TL said...

Yeah, and why didn't anyone tell me that my pubic hair would grow faster than anything on earth? I could give Buckwheat a real run for his money...

10:58 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

tl,

I know what you mean... And it's especially tough to get in there to do some "landscaping" when you're in your third trimester.

3:50 PM  
Blogger TL said...

That was the point where I just took the shears to it and said f this!!!I just hacked and hacked away at the mass of hair!! Who knew!!! I came to work and asked on of the women I worked with, "Did this ever happen to you?" She looked at me a bit strange but hell I knew I was not the only one out there!

4:12 PM  
Blogger SmileyGuy said...

I know that when my (now estranged) wife was pregnant I used to wash her all over, and pay special attention to any spots that needed extra attention.

I gently washed her nipples, and patted them dry with a towel. Last, but not least, I lovingly massaged lanolin into her budding nipples and puffy areola.

Frankly, the residual buildup of oils/colostrum was never offensive to me, but more so an even better way to "get involved".

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank god for this site as I realise there isn't something wrong with me haha! I was showering and had a good look at my nipples and noticed the "build up" and thought What the Hell!!! Also the 'Cracking' and thought is there something wrong with my nipples. Reading this has put my completely anxious pregnancy mind to rest, thank you :)

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my daughter is 6yr.s old now.... and i STILL get nipple cheese... is this normal??? also sometimes when im squeezing that stuff outa my nipples, a lil bit of fluid comes out...a little cloudy but kinda clear....should i be worried?

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 14 years old and I'm not pregnant but i also have nipple cheese....or is it something else "/

5:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally got nipple cheese after my first pregnancy, and it's still there now in my 2nd pregnancy. I'm glad I found an explanation! I don't think it's that gross, def not noticeable by my husband or anything, but I would wonder what it was and why it wasn't there before I breastfed, it's all clear now :)

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually had this problem since the beginning of puberty, I'm just noticing that it's a little worse now that I'm pregnant, haha. I was alway s curious if this was something to be worried about.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've gotten this for 4 years and I've never been pregnant; I'm 15.

3:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same issue. As much as your term is fitting, is there a different medical term? I'm trying to find more information on it. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and I'm worried it will affect my ability to breast feed

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Babyg said...

Hi

I've taken 3 tests and get a negative but my boobs are bigger and stomach hard and the white goo in my nipples can anyone give advice? I only have an app on the 5third Apr. The nausea is there and the frequent bathroom visits

Ps.
Any advice would help.

4:11 PM  
Blogger KittieVonPurr said...

im getting nipple cheese it suck and everytime i clean it out y breast get super tender

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home