FRANK PREGNANCY TALK Frank discussion of pregnancy symptoms, emotions, side-effects and oddities.

Friday, May 26, 2006

How Ripe is Your Melon?

“When will my baby be born?” is the question that plagues many women in those final, and longest, weeks of pregnancy. Besides having contractions, loosing the mucous plug or breaking water, here are a few things that may give you a hint as to when your little bundle may arrive.

First, the belly- if it looks like an oversized honeydew melon, with skin stretching to its limits and a dark line running from your pubic bone to your navel, that’s a good sign. You’re getting ripe baby!

Second, if you have an uncontrollable desire to clean the dust vents behind your refrigerator; re-landscape your backyard; wash all the baby clothes in Dreft and neatly fold them like you live to do laundry; and put together 20 years worth of boxed photos into albums, you could be getting close.

And last, if you’re feeling so downright uncomfortable, miserable and desperate to have the baby out that you pray for it almost constantly, that’s a really good sign. In those final days this burning desire usually becomes so strong it overshadows any apprehensions or fears you may have had about the labor and delivery, which is a good thing. Maybe it’s nature’s way of preparing you, mentally and physically, for childbirth. It’s too bad you usually have to undergo so much torture to get there though.

Check out Cecily’s Top Ten Things She Won’t Miss About Pregnancy. I think she’s getting pretty close!

If you’ve had all these signs for a week or more and still no baby, I can imagine you’d be loosing your freakin’ mind. Tune in next week for a discussion of desperate labor inducing techniques, if you haven’t already had your baby, that is.

4 Comments:

Blogger TL said...

I feel so robbed, I never lost a mucus plug, never had a real labor pain! No really I don't feel robbed at all, the trama of all the other events that happened was quite enough. My baby girl would happily still be in my uterus if I did not have the nose bleed that almost killed me. I was past due and know if I did not have a nose bleed I would still be pregnant today.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

That last paragraph? Yeah, that was me. 10 days late. No mucus plug either. But the water gushing down my leg? That was a pretty unmistakable sign of labor.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Lily of the Valley said...

i'll keep these things in mind for september, when i'm huge and it's freakin' hot (stays in the 100s where i am from june until october!).

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just described my life right now perfectly.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home