FRANK PREGNANCY TALK Frank discussion of pregnancy symptoms, emotions, side-effects and oddities.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

One Week Post-Op

I’ve finally done it! I’ve fixed myself, in more ways than one. Medically speaking, I’ve had my herniated navel repaired once and for all. No more reaching into the back seat of the car to pick up a spilled sippy cup and having guts painfully pop out of my navel, only to have me push them back in again, and again. No more ugly, protruding belly button. No more sinking valley of muscle separation streaking down my torso.

Maternally speaking, I’m done with having children. This, subconsciously, could have been the reason I’ve waited so long to have the procedure done. I wanted to be really, really sure that I didn’t want any more babies. I’ve hit 40 and now I’m sure.

You ask, “Why can’t I have any more kids after this operation?” Well, to let you in on a little secret, it was much more than just the fixing of my umbilical hernia. I figured if the doc was going to be cutting me up anyway, I might as well get a tummy tuck and have the scarred and flabby skin chopped off. Now, since I have the flattest and tightest belly skin, my stomach won’t be able to accommodate the stretching for the gestation of another child, but I’ll look damned good in a bikini this summer!

Mentally speaking, this was a big thing I did for me. I feel that I am finally getting back to some sense of myself and my life after the most horrific summer. Of course I wouldn’t change it for the world. Every moment I spent with Lucia and her family was a gift and a memory that I’ll treasure forever. I did the best I could. We all did… and I think she knows it. We loved her to the very end and will continue honoring her memory and wishes. But, now it’s time to move on and focus on our own lives. We can no longer neglect our children, husbands, family and friends. We are still alive, so we must live our lives to the richest and fullest that they can be. We must take care of our bodies and engage in activities that bring us joy. We must love one another and be forever thankful for all the wonderful gifts that we have.

OK, OK, enough gushing, here’s some gore to balance out this post:

For those of you that have the stomach for it, click here for the before, during, and after the surgery photos. Enjoy!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!

You will be one smokin' hot Momma on the beach next year!!

Now you can get that belly ring!

4:55 PM  
Blogger DD said...

My husband said I can someday get lipo, however I'm waiting until I'm "done" as well.

Your after looks like you just went though the magic act where they cut you in half. I can't wait to see how it looks in a month after the stitches are out.

As for your abs, you will definitely be smokin' at the pool side!

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm scared to LOOK!!!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Those pics were awesome.
Congrats, you may be the best looking momma at the beach this summer!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

omg... I am so SO jealous! Maybe that will be my resolution... a damn tummy tuck because goodness knows, there are not enough pilates exercises in the world to help me!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Ouch!!! That looks like it must have really hurt. But you will rock that bikini! I'm glad that it went well and it's all over with. Happy new year!

9:49 PM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

Oh my! Now I remember why I changed my mind about going to nursing school. That last pic made my toes curl. But I bet when it's all healed up you'll look enviously sleek around the middle!

(FWIW, the "before" wasn't so bad :)

10:40 PM  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

WHOA. The pictures! I had a Silence of the Lambs moment there. I'm glad you had the surgery done and I bet that by now, you're looking and feeling fabulous and all the hot lawn boys are slipping you their numbers. :)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Style Police said...

When are you going to blog again? I miss your posts

9:10 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I miss blogging too. I just wish there were three of me- one to write my current book, one to manage my design business and one to be a full-time mom. Oh, better make that four- I need one more me to blog.

I’ll let you know when my clones arrive.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Lily of the Valley said...

Stacy, I barely had what it took to stomach an emergency C-section; you're a brave person. How you do manage working and being a full-time mom? I plan on working full time ((teaching at a univ.) and being a full-time mom (no daycare). This past semester I taught three classes and was a full-time mommy, and that about killed me! Another question, how did the hospital let you take and post those pictures? Thanks, by the way, for linking one of my blogs.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Lilly,

The only way I manage to work full time (relatively guilt-free) is with good help. The girl I have has been with us for 7 years and truly is part of our family. We are lucky!

And about the pics- I'm friends with the doc and asked him if he could take photograhs during the procedure (done in his office.) He was happy to oblige.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! It looks painful but I'm so glad it went well. I am currently baking my second child and just discovered your site and blog. I am so sorry about Lucia. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and her family and my hormones have absolutely turned me into a babbling idiot. I am so sad for you. I love the photo of the two of you - so beautiful. Treasure it and your friendship forever. Can't wait for your return!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Lily of the Valley said...

BTW, I got a hernia with my second pregnancy. Bummer. I'm trying to make the walls of my abdomen come back together by doing certain exercises.

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Shirley Stark said...

I want to get a 'mommy makeover' eventually too, but I have only just had my first and my husband and I are planning to have at least one more so I figure I still have a few more years to go first. Congrats!

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home